Winners from April 23, 2010
- Winner: Talking in Bed by Gabrielle Singh Cadieux
- Honorable Mention: Waiting for the Sunrise by Danya Sherbini
- Honorable Mention: The Yellow Eye by Brayden Hirsch
- Editor's Choice: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas by Hannah Lindquist
- Winner: Talking in Bed
by Gabrielle Singh Cadieux
This week's winner draws together a little bit of everything. Part dreamy
recollection of better times and frenzied attempts to reconcile those
memories with the present, Talking in Bed presents real heartbreak through
the lens of tragedy. Cadieux manages a tale both illuminating and all-too-
familiar to those who've endured the loss of love.
- Download and read Talking in Bed.
- Honorable Mention: Waiting for the Sunrise
by Danya Sherbini
What Sherbini accomplishes in Waiting for the Sunrise is a startling
portrayal of infatuation that suggests youthful naïveté is no excuse for
entrapment. Rather than give away the ending, we'll simply warn you: prepare
for a walk through the woods that will leave you tantalized at every step.
- Download and read Waiting for the Sunrise.
- Honorable Mention: The Yellow Eye
by Brayden Hirsch
Hirsch explores the "dark and stormy night" anew in this haunting tale of
suspense and horror. Set in the wintery deeps of the Pacific Northwest, The
Yellow Eye abandons readers to an enclosed lonely space to fend for
themselves. Rich in imagery of the old style, yet strangely contemporary in
its tools of horror, this piece will not disappoint even the most steeled of
- Download and read The Yellow Eye.
- Editor's Choice: It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
by Hannah Lindquist
We spotlighted this piece with our Editors’ Choice Award for so many
reasons. Not just a wry, tongue-in-cheek look at the thoughts we all tend to
share (at least in part) about the ‘Holidays,’ Lindquist‘s piece is also a
light-hearted, though at times scathing, commentary on the soulless side of
consumerism. Equal parts humor and skepticism, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot
Like Christmas” is an interesting read from start to finish.
- Download and read It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.
- Title: A Pilot's Guide to Washington
- Publication Date: Friday, August 5, 2016
- Publisher: Steward House Publishers
- ISBN: 978-1-937097-11-0
- Book Type: 6 x 0.9 x 9 inches
- Page Count: 442
- Price: $29.95 USD
This book is a guidebook for private aviators in Washington State, or folks visiting the State. Washington State is among the most beautiful and diverse states in the Union. There are flat and dry desserts, stunning basalt formations, towering mountains, rolling grass hills, thick rain forests, island archipelagos, and lakes and rivers and straits and sounds. Well, one sound. And we have roughly a billion airports to visit. (I'm exaggerating slightly.) It would be shame to be a pilot living in or visiting Washington State and not deeply partake of the richness of this opportunity.
Order the book from: